GIS Specialist – Catastrophe Model Developer
This role is part of the Impact Forecasting team, subsidiary of Aon. The global Impact Forecasting team of 90 members based in 5 offices around the world (Prague, London, Chicago, Singapore and Bangalore) consists of scientists, developers and a client services colleagues together developing and supporting catastrophe models for various natural and man-made perils including flood, wind storm, earthquake, fire or terrorism.
We are looking for a GIS expert with coding skills to help us gather, process and analyse large spatial datasets for our flood and terrorism catastrophe models. As we deal with large area and high-resolution datasets, scripting skill is essential. Job scope offers flexible range of responsibilities and demands to be suitable for junior colleague as well as for more senior experts.
Your main tasks will include:
- Suitable geodata mining mainly to develop our European flood and global terrorism models – digital elevation models, 3D cityscape data, land use / soil data, satellite data and similar. Therefore orientation in available free and proprietary datasets at world and European level (OSM, Copernicus) will help you a lot.
- Processing datasets to required format for subsequent use in our numerical solvers and loss calculation platform.
- Automating repetitive tasks in Python.
- Identifying new opportunities to improve our existing catastrophe models suite with new datasets and algorithms – as an example we are looking for method to automatically delineate levees along rivers.
To apply for this position, you should have:
- University degree in geomatics/geoinformatics/geography or related area of expertise.
- Knowledge of GIS (ArcGIS, QGIS)
- Scripting skills (Python, knowledge of spatial libraries – GeoPandas, arcpy, GDAL/OGR is a plus).
- Experience in handling large datasets (tens of GB) is a plus
- Good communication skills in English.
What we can offer:
- Opportunity to work for a market leader in the global reinsurance and insurance industry
- Interesting and varied role in a dynamic and exciting team
- Continuous and on-going international training programme and many other educational opportunities
- Competitive salary and attractive benefits package
- Potential for travelling
Kontakt Lenka Hralová