Flood Hazard Modeller
This role is part of the Impact Forecasting team, subsidiary of Aon. The global Impact Forecasting team of 90 members based in 5 offices around the world (Prague, London, Chicago, Singapore and Bangalore) consists of scientists, developers and a client services colleagues together developing and supporting catastrophe models for various natural and man-made perils including flood, wind storm, earthquake, fire or terrorism.
We are looking for a technical person with interest in flood modelling. The position is suitable for a junior colleague who wants to grow as an expert in the field of hydraulic modelling of any type of flooding as well as related hydrology models, who is not afraid of big challenges and pioneering approaches.
Your main tasks will include:
- Hydraulic modelling using (mainly) 2-dimensional hydrodynamic models (e.g TUFLOW, Delft 3D and/or others)
- Collect and prepare underlying hydrological and spatial data, their processing mainly via GIS system (ArcGIS, QGIS)
- Collect information about various types of flood protection and evaluating its financial impact of its existence and possible failure
- Results post-processing and their implementation into catastrophe model and its databases
- Be in close cooperation with other colleagues, GIS experts, statisticians and programmers contributing to complex flood model development
To be able to better understand the role, simply, we are looking for a technical person with interest in above to become and grow as an expert in the field of property and motor damage caused by any type of inundation.
To apply for this offer, you should have:
- University degree in the field of water engineering and water management or environmental sciences
- Technical thinking, ability to quickly learn new things and concepts
- Good knowledge of GIS tools, ArcMap, QGIS with a focus on raster analyses, some basic scripting ability to automate GIS tasks (such as Python)
- Some basic knowledge of SQL or other relational database as well as GIS/CAD is a plus
- Very good communication skills in English, other languages (German particularly) are welcomed!
- Good knowledge of MS Office (mainly Excel)
- Willingness to present your work to wider audience
What we can offer:
- Opportunity to work for a market leader in the global reinsurance and insurance industry
- Interesting and varied role in a dynamic and exciting team
- Gain highly focused expertise with a significant market value
- Continuous and on-going international training programme and many other educational opportunities
- Competitive salary and attractive benefits package
- Potential for travelling
Kontakt Lenka Hralová