Research & Development for Catastrophe Modelling
This role is part of the Impact Forecasting team, subsidiary of Aon. The global Impact Forecasting team of 90 members based in 5 offices around the world (Prague, London, Chicago, Singapore and Bangalore) consists of scientists, developers and a client services colleagues together developing and supporting catastrophe models for various natural and man-made perils including flood, wind storm, earthquake, fire or terrorism.
We are looking for a person with an academic background, interested in extreme climate and catastrophe modelling, willing to work in the bridge between industry and academia, and who is enthusiastic to grow into an expert on this subject.
What will you do?
- Work closely with our Weather Risk Modelling team.
- Assist on the technical development of catastrophe modelling solutions with a focus on hazard and innovation.
- Develop and test ideas that could improve the performance of the modelling solutions.
- Coordinate and eventually manage R&D projects with our academic partners, starting with the European windstorm modelling project, in cooperation with the Meteorology department at KIT.
- Manage the collection and processing of meteorological data necessary for the R&D work undertaken.
- Communicate with various parties involved in the project, including academic partners, team members in different offices and clients.
- Represent the company at commercial, academic and marketing events.
To apply for this offer, you should have:
- University degree in climatology, meteorology or other natural (geo)science, including geography. The position is suitable for PhD or advanced MSc postgraduates with research experience.
- Technical thinking, ability to quickly learn new things and concepts.
- Good communication skills in English.
- Analytical skills with good knowledge of statistical methods for data analysis.
- Functional knowledge of scripting or programming language (R, MATLAB, Python, or others) and basic knowledge of SQL or other relational database tools. In addition, GIS is a plus.
- Good knowledge of MS Office (mainly Excel)
- Willingness to travel as well as to present your work
What we can offer:
- Interesting and varied role in a dynamic and exciting team
- Opportunity to work for a market leader in the global reinsurance and insurance industry
- Continuous and on-going international training programme
- Competitive salary and attractive benefits package
- Beautiful office located in Prague city centre
Kontakt Lenka Hralová